cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X4748-RJ45-E non-blocking versus oversubscription

pwmsonpbs
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WS-C4507R+E with two of the WS-X4748-RJ45-E linecards in addition to a single Sup7E.

I need to connect eight 6-port portchannels to the WS-X4748-RJ45-Es.

Since the linecards are described as non-blocking do I need to worry about how I connect/group various portchannels?

A best practice would be to distribute 3 ports from each portchannel to each of the WS-X4748-RJ45-E - correct?

I have seen/read questions about ASIC oversubscription for other switches (3K fixed) and line cards, but cannot find anything similar for the WS-X4748-RJ45-E.   Does such documentation exist?

Thanks,

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Since the linecards are described as non-blocking do I need to worry about how I connect/group various portchannels?

On those line cards, with a sup7E, you can connect to any port you desire.

A best practice would be to distribute 3 ports from each portchannel to each of the WS-X4748-RJ45-E - correct?

Assuming you want to minimize the bandwidth loss to each portchannel if a line card fails, yes.

I have seen/read questions about ASIC oversubscription for other switches (3K fixed) and line cards, but cannot find anything similar for the WS-X4748-RJ45-E.

That because the "intelligence" for 4500s is within the sup, not the line cards.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On those line cards, with a sup7E, you can connect to any port you desire.

Assuming you want to minimize the bandwidth loss to each portchannel if a line card fails, yes.

I have seen/read questions about ASIC oversubscription for other switches (3K fixed) and line cards, but cannot find anything similar for the WS-X4748-RJ45-E.

That because the "intelligence" for 4500s is within the sup, not the line cards.

Your answer reinforced what I had been able to find otherwise - thanks for the clarification.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card