cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6148A-GE-TX is not recognized by IOS

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

I have been working on a 6509 with Sup engine SUP2-GE, version 12.1(8b)E11, that does not recognize the new 10/100/1000 48 port card. When listing modules it is unrecognized and power is off. Other error messages are: failed to read serial eeprom of line card in slot X and poser mgmt sprom failure for module X. The 10/100 module is read with no problem. Any suggestions?

10 Replies 10

jasonrandolph
Level 1
Level 1

Module appears to only be supported by CatOS ver 8.4(1) or higher...not IOS

Basically hybrid CatOS/IOS or Native CatOS will be required for operation with the new card.

andrewdykes
Level 1
Level 1

What 10/100 module are you using?

The 10/100 48 port module is a WS-X6348 which works fine but the WS-S6148A-GE-TX is the one that does not work.

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

According to this document ccmigration_09186a00800c8441.pdf

It is called "The Comparison of the Cisco Catalyst and Cisco IOS Operating Systems for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch."

I plugged your sup module and and the new linecard into the configurator, no compatible IOS version was returned.

Go here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_most_requested_tools.html

Selection 2, software advisor, specify hardware manually, and add in your line cards/modules/etc. It will then give you a software recommendation.

There are other pages that list no compatible IOS version for the card in the 6500 series as well if you search on the card's model # and look under minimum supporting software revision.

Jason,

That is not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that I would not have to run in hybrid mode for the 10/100/1000. What about the WS-SUP2-MSC2 sup engine? Will this line card work in that environment along with the WS-X6348?

andrewdykes
Level 1
Level 1

From what I can gather, you may need to upgrade to 12.2SX for this module to work.

According to this page, is says this module is compatible with IOS and CatOS:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html

The configurator may be out of date, so upgrading likely wouldn't hurt to try...

There are a host of software updates to fit 12.2sx. One in particular that you are familiar with?

gmvburg23
Level 1
Level 1

I will try in the morning and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks!! I hope it works!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco