Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6408A-GBIC 8 port 1000mpbs port speed

edongskiu2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to use all ports in my 6509 and I would like to inquire if I use all ports in a WS-X6408A-GBIC 8 port 1000mb, do I get a maximum port speed of 10000Mbps on each port? Does this share a backplane or the module has it's own? 

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

edongskiu2 wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to use all ports in my 6509 and I would like to inquire if I use all ports in a WS-X6408A-GBIC 8 port 1000mb, do I get a maximum port speed of 10000Mbps on each port? Does this share a backplane or the module has it's own? 

thanks!

This module gets it's own dedicated connection to the switch fabric of 40Gbps. So if you run all ports there will be oversubscription of 2:1. So no you do not get a maximum of 10Gbps per port. If you do want to get 10Gbps per port then you can only run 4 of the 8 ports. There is actually a special command to do just that -

6500(config)# no hw-module slot x oversubscription

which will disable ports 3,4,7 and 8.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

edongskiu2 wrote:

Hi,

thanks!

This module gets it's own dedicated connection to the switch fabric of 40Gbps. So if you run all ports there will be oversubscription of 2:1. So no you do not get a maximum of 10Gbps per port. If you do want to get 10Gbps per port then you can only run 4 of the 8 ports. There is actually a special command to do just that -

6500(config)# no hw-module slot x oversubscription

which will disable ports 3,4,7 and 8.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card