Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6708-10G-3CXL card insertation killed VSS and fan-tray went to high speed

rocketrach
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have a VSS setup on 2 6509-E using 2x VS-S720-10G.

Today I tried to install 2x X6708-10G-3CXL, one into each chassis.

The first log message I got was that fan tray was going into high-speed mode, is this correct?

I then installed the second card in the 2nd chassis and it killed my VSS and proceed to reload the switches. it now also appears to have killed one of my WS-X6724-SFP cards, as it no-longer boots and I get the following errors:

000249: Jan  8 12:52:34.201 GMT: %DIAG-SW1_SP-3-MAJOR: Switch 1 Module 1: Online Diagnostics detected a M

ajor Error. Please use 'show diagnostic result <target>' to see test results.

000250: Jan  8 12:52:34.205 GMT: %CONST_DIAG-SW1_SP-3-BOOTUP_TEST_FAIL: Switch 1 Module 1: TestLoopback f

ailed on port(s) 1-24

000251: Jan  8 12:52:35.049 GMT: %OIR-SW1_SP-3-LC_FAILURE: Module 1 has Major online diagnostic failure,

Card will be powered down. Please check bootflash diaginfo file for detailed diagnostic result.

Also I can't read any of the log files in 'bootflash diaginfo' as it says the file doesn't exist.

Everytime I know re-insert the WS-X6724-SFP cards it kills the VSS

I appreciate this is a bit of a generic question, but has anyone got any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

000249: Jan  8 12:52:34.201 GMT: %DIAG-SW1_SP-3-MAJOR: Switch 1 Module 1: Online Diagnostics detected a M
ajor Error. Please use 'show diagnostic result <target>' to see test results.

000250: Jan  8 12:52:34.205 GMT: %CONST_DIAG-SW1_SP-3-BOOTUP_TEST_FAIL: Switch 1 Module 1: TestLoopback f
ailed on port(s) 1-24

000251: Jan  8 12:52:35.049 GMT: %OIR-SW1_SP-3-LC_FAILURE: Module 1 has Major online diagnostic failure,
Card will be powered down. Please check bootflash diaginfo file for detailed diagnostic result.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob,

You defiantly need an upgrade.  I know that SXI4a is a pretty good code, but I have heard the latest code (SXJ) is also pretty solid.

Good Luck

Reza

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rob,

Is your Sup 3C or 3C-XL?  If your Sup is 3C then you need a 3C line card.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for getting back to me

The Sup is the 3CXL

It looks like I may of come across this little bug: CSCtb47692

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtb47692

Regards

Rob

Rob,

What version of code are you running?  This bug is pretty old, because it was found in SXI which is over 3 years old and was fixed in SX4 which is about 2 years old. 

Regards

Reza

Hi Reza,

We are currently running 12.2(33)SXI2, which like you say is old. I guess an upgrade is going to be needed.

Thanks again for your help

Rob

Rob,

You defiantly need an upgrade.  I know that SXI4a is a pretty good code, but I have heard the latest code (SXJ) is also pretty solid.

Good Luck

Reza

I'll have a look at both

Thanks very much

Fingers crossed

Rgds

Rob

Rob,

One more thing I forgot to mention in my previous posts.  Make sure your line cards also have the latest firmware on them. I have seen issues with running older firmware on X6708 cards.

Here is the latest:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=278110069&flowid=190&softwareid=280805687&release=12.2%2818r%29S1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

HTH

Reza,

So what would be the best way of doing this?

Break VSS first, then Firmware upgrade then code upgrade?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Leo,

This is the only document I could find. Not sure if it is helpful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/rommon/OL_6010.html

Thanks.  (+5)

Currently using SXJ1.  Feels better than the SXI-series IOS. 

Hi,

Just looking for a little bit of advice.

Will I be OK doing a eFSU Upgrade from s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a to s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ1?

I only have a single supervisor in each chassis.

Should I be ok with just following the eFSU upgrade instructions in the below?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1133416

Thanks in advance for any advice

Best Regards

Rob

Rob,

Will I be OK doing a eFSU Upgrade from s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI2a to s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ1?

Yes, you are going from a non-modular IOS to another non-modular, so you are fine.

Single Sup in each chassis is fine.  That is what originally VSS was design with.

Make sure to follow the link step-by-step. 

Even though using eFSU supposed to be none disruptive, make sure you do this during an outage window. (after hours)

Leave extra time for doing this, since the chassis will be booting multiple times, and each time can take up to 15 Minutes (depending on the number of modules you have in the chassis) to boot.

Good Luck,

Make sure to follow the link step by step. Also, you should be fine with one Sup per device.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card