Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6716-10G-3C and 6509-E

mohamed louhab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

i have a switch cisco WS-C6509-E WS-X6716-10G-3C module ( module for 10 GB) , i have the IOS s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

i want to know if this IOS can support this module or not ??or ,  if i must do a upgrade , is that the  IOS : "s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH8" work fine  ???

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, very welcome.

On Catalyst switches all the modules are hot swappable so you can put it in and take it out with the switch up and running with no problem.

Regarding the IOS upgrade, you see sometimes sup-bootdisk and other times bootflash, this is because the switch has different memories. If you run a "show file system"you will see all the available memories on the switch.

In order to perform the IOS upgrade, first we need to identify on which memory we have the IOS image, if you do a "dir all" look at the memories and find on which one you have the IOS image. All the memories are pretty much the same.

if you see the IOS, for example, on bootflash, then we need to perform the next commands:

(config)#no boot system    ***delete the current boot statement***

(config)#boot system bootflash:[ios image name]    ***specifiy the IOS the switch should boot from now. is importan to have no spaces between the ":" and the IOS image name***

(config)#do wr    ***save the configuration***

(config)#do reload    ***reload the switch for the new IOS image to booot***

Please let me know if that helps

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What supervisor model do you have in the chassis?

Diego Acuna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Because of the ios image name you have a sup720. You have to upgrade the switch because the current doesnt support the line card. Upgrade to 12.2(33)SXH2 or newer and the line card will work fine. The one you say (SXH8) is ok.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

mohamed louhab
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Diego ,

Thank you for your help ,

another thing ,this card (WS-X6716-10G-3C) is that hot swapping or not ??

and can you help me how i can upgrade the IOS ?  i do that in other switches ( 4506 , 3550 ...)

but in 6506 some times i see "sup-bootdisk" and other times i see "bootflash" .

I really lost !!!

thank you

Hi, very welcome.

On Catalyst switches all the modules are hot swappable so you can put it in and take it out with the switch up and running with no problem.

Regarding the IOS upgrade, you see sometimes sup-bootdisk and other times bootflash, this is because the switch has different memories. If you run a "show file system"you will see all the available memories on the switch.

In order to perform the IOS upgrade, first we need to identify on which memory we have the IOS image, if you do a "dir all" look at the memories and find on which one you have the IOS image. All the memories are pretty much the same.

if you see the IOS, for example, on bootflash, then we need to perform the next commands:

(config)#no boot system    ***delete the current boot statement***

(config)#boot system bootflash:[ios image name]    ***specifiy the IOS the switch should boot from now. is importan to have no spaces between the ":" and the IOS image name***

(config)#do wr    ***save the configuration***

(config)#do reload    ***reload the switch for the new IOS image to booot***

Please let me know if that helps

Hi Diego ,

Thank you very match for your HELP

just another  thing please , in configuration of my switch i have :

boot system flash bootflash:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

boot system disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

boot system flash sup-bootflash:

but in the "show version"   i have

System image file is "disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin"

So ,  to do it  :

(config)#no boot system  disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin

(config)#boot system disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH8

(config)#do wr   

(config)#do reload   

i can use TFTP instead of FTP ??

Thank you Diego for your help and time

Hi Mohamed,

You are right you can use either a TFTP or FTP to copy the image that is not a problem.

Instead of using the (config)#no boot system disk0:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF9.bin, we can use only (config)#no boot system to clear all the boot statements on the switch and to avoid any problem.

The other commands you are going to use are perfect.

big thanks Diego

thank you very much

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card