Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

you can not assign ip address to layer 2 interface in cisco 878

Hi,

I have a cisco 878 router and I can’t assign ip address to it’s fast Ethernet interface. When I assign ip address give me this message: “you can not assign ip address to layer 2 interface”.

But I can not understand why give me this alert when I use a layer3 device?!!

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You are using layer 3 device that has layer 2 interfaces. In this case, IP address is assgned to VLAN interface.

Note, if you have no previous experience, recommend you get support from someone that has, or study the product documentation.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You are using layer 3 device that has layer 2 interfaces. In this case, IP address is assgned to VLAN interface.

Note, if you have no previous experience, recommend you get support from someone that has, or study the product documentation.

OK

But how i can NAT my server to the wan connection & vice versa?

Re: you can not assign ip address to layer 2 interface in cisco

Only one port on the 878 can be assigned an IP address the other ports under the yellow portion of the router are layer 2 only ports. The 878 is a soho router so setting up a NAT and using the 1 layer 3 port as the connection to your ISP. Just use a basic NAT set up. GL

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies