cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Custom parser difficulties.

colmfahy
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to parse a Windows 2008 '4624' event log entry as a proof-of-concept before parsing other high-priority Windows Server 2008 events.

I have created a 'parser' which will work flawlessly when using the 'test' feature within Mars 6.x.

However I am unable to get this 'parser' to interpret incoming events from the server.

* Events are being forwarded from the server using snare. 

* Copying the  event from 'Event raw messages' report output (where "Parsing error or event type unknown:" has been pre-pended to the message)

and pasting directly into the parser test screen, the message will be successfully parsed by the test parser.

* I have configured the device as a 'windows-generic' device but have NOT configured the MARS to receive OR pull logs from the device - hence, the only software configured on the device is the custome framework I have created.

Anyone any thoughts or have I missed something very simple?

Kind regards

Colm

1 Reply 1

Mykola Srebnyuk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

try:

1. To create a new one device type (as example win2008 generic).

2. Create a new device event type (add to this NEW event type).

3. Then create parser's patterns.

4. Then create new device (selest OS Windows --->>> Receive events ), go to tab Reporting applications and add a new one created device type (as example Win 2008 generic)

5. Thats all.

P.S In snare please enable syslog header. Thats all.

Kind regards,

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: