Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MARS upgradation

Hi, can anyone help me to upgrade v4.2 to v 5.3? Is it true that i need to upgrade it 1 version by 1, e.g. from 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4 and so on...?

Also, what would be the better way to do this, i.e. CD based or from URL/network server?

Please share your experience/best practices, don't refer to any docs, as the available docs don't comparisions/options available.. thnx

6 REPLIES

Re: MARS upgradation

Just saw on cisco that CLI is the recommmended mode.

It would be more helpful if someone could illustrate the differences (and consequences) between normal upgrade and the re-imaging..

Also, why 5.3.x is supported on only limited hardwares?

I would like to point a very important point here. Version 4.x is meant for generation 1 boxes and Version 5.x is meant only for generation 2 MARS appliances (the one manufactured after Cisco's acuiqsition with more reliable components).

So there is nothing like a 4.3.x to 5.3.x upgrade unless you got a newer box. Keep that in mind :)

Regards

Farrukh

Remember folks that Cisco claims MARS release 6, due in a few weeks, will be the same for both GEN1 and GEN2 with the same features for both generations.

Unless a specific minimum version is needed for upgrade you might want to wait for 6 and save the extra trouble. I myself is eagerly waiting to get my hands on the upgrade.

/Fredrik

Gold

FWIW, we just had a TAC engineer tell us September.

Gold

"Is it true that i need to upgrade it 1 version by 1, e.g. from 4.2 to 4.3 to 4.4 and so on...? "

yes. re-imaging is only an option if you can tolerate losing data or its a new appliance.

"Also, what would be the better way to do this, i.e. CD based or from URL/network server? "

Either way is fine. The first thing the network upgrade does is copy it locally. You mention the CLI in a followup post, definitely use the CLI versus the GUI. The GUI provides you with no status messages, the CLI does.

"Please share your experience/best practices, don't refer to any docs, as the available docs don't comparisions/options available.. thnx

"

There are two different situations. If you have a new box or don't care about the data on it, re-image. It doesn't make sense to apply all those incremental upgrades. I have gone through the incremental upgrade route with 2 different SEM's now, I can tell you that at the end of the day...IME the re-imaged box won't look exactly like the upgraded box. With Netforensics we had missing indexes, records, different database configurations, etc. I suspect the same with MARS, but as an appliance can't readily verify.

Silver

Matthew,

Your answer is spot-on!

Thanks for the reminder that an upgraded box won't look like the one you re-image. I also didn't realize that during the network upgrade the image was copied locally first.

A "5" from here in NYC.

Cheers!

Paul

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content