cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Interface for MARS

GFernandez07
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a newby. I have a doubt about connecting the device to the network. By what I understand I need to use a crossover cable to connect MARS to the switch. Do I need to configure the switchport to be a trunk port. Or is any other configuration I need to make.

Please help.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

eegilbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

MARS is a special application built on standard server hardware. The Network Interface Cards (NIC) on your MARS server are standard pieces of hardware that should only need a stright through cable connected to any switch.

There are probably two interfaces, one is supposed to be used for management, one is used for data collection.

There is no need that I'm aware of to configure the switch port as a trunk, since all the devices you are monitoring will be reporting back to the MARS device.

Erric

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As Erric mentioned, it needs to be a regular access port connected via a straigh-through cable.

Only one interface on MARS supports a default gateway, please keep that in mind. This will be the interface on which all reporting devices will connect. The 'management function' (GUI/SSH) can be combined on the same interface, or a second interface can be used (best-practice). This second interface would lie in the same subnet as the management machine(s).

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: