Views
Helpful
Replies

Viewing Netflow Generated Incidents in MARS

Racquel_Mays
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am able successfully view Cisco MARS netflow messages in the GUI.  However, how can I tell if any of the netflow details that I am seeing real-time have generated an incident?  I have run the report "Activity: All Events and Netflow- Top Destinations Ports (Peak View)", but I can not distinguish the netflow details.  Is there another report that I can run/rule which either exists or could be created that speaks specifically to Netflow Generated Incidents?

1 Reply 1

Scott Fringer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Racquel;

There is not a specific report that will indicate incidents created specifically on netflow data.  In general, CS-MARS uses netflow data to detect anomalous network behavior through statistical analysis.  Over time, CS-MARS develops a baseline of traffic behavior using the netflow data.  Once the baseline is developed, CS-MARS will compare netflow data against the baseline and alert when an increase in traffic is detected.  This is outlined here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/security_management/cs-mars/6.0/user/guide/combo/cfgOver.html#wp180410

The CS-MARS 'Sudden Traffic Increase...' incidents are related to netflow-based analysis.

These details are used in conjunction with other events received by the CS-MARS for more effective correlation and incident generation.

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: