cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Circuit Provisioning

allenelson
Level 1
Level 1

I've been searching all night for good documentation on circuits and have failed horribly. Could anyone point me in the right direction to some good docs? Basically, I've got an OC3 pipe at work and I was thinking about linking a dedicated circuit at home for off hours communication and I'd really like to understand how it all works.. I was thinking frame relay, but if it's going to be more of a headache with the switches and telco I could opt for a DS1. Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

IF you are looking for a Work from Home connection and that to a high speed ones, you may want to consider a Ethernet Connection from a local last mile Metro service provider in your area. Then you dont have to invest in a router at your side for termination and stuff, and its pretty much easy to implement and operate a a end user.

There should be handful of local or regional ISP's in your locale who provide last mile ethernet P2P circuits.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

But that would defeat the concept of already having bandwidth at hand, ready to redistribute no? Whether this works out for me or not I would still like to find some good documentation on this. Thanks in advance.

Frankly, your question is not clear to me.

If you can take off some time to explain it more, we surely can take it ahead.

1) What is the current status.

2) Whats you want to achieve.

3) Whats the problem.

This much info should be good.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Maybe what I'm asking isn't possible. I'm not really sure to be honest, I'm only CCNA and at my level I am thirsting for knowledge. That's why I always ask for documentation rather than help.. =/ I was reading up on DSL access in the Cisco docs, maybe that would suit me better. Anyway I'm just trying to learn how circuits are provisioned, I used to work for a CLEC and don't understand why we still had to involve other Telco's. What I'm really after is the nitty gritty from the telephone pole all the way back to the Internet Provider.

from the dmarc to the pole, what exactly takes place on the wire

from the provider to the telco, what information is sent

from the provider, how everything is routed over the wire, by telephone number?

stuff like that..

Based on your inputs, you have a OC3 in your office this OC3 connects your where.

You cannot use this OC3 at your home, i think you have got it.

To answer your question on how data reaches form one point to another point

lets go through this example below.

Point 1 <---> Last Mile <--->Telco Cloud <---> Last Mile <--> Point 2

a) Point 1 uses a last mile as normal analog telephone line, in which case to conenct to

Point 2 it has to dial the Point 2 telephone number. Both points are using Modems to

modulate and demodulate the signals sent on the wire they do the actual analog electrical

signal to digital ones and zeroes conversion.

Now when point one dials the number to of your point two, it first goes by default to your

local exchange, there the incoming dialed number is checked, if the prefix is local it checks

for further local digits which tells it the number is connected to which exchange switch.

So as per the dial plan the incoming call is forwarded to the respective exchange switch.

That switch which connects to point2 forwards the call to point2 and lets the two points

negotiate the call parameters upon call setup. And then the modems upon handshaking

form an end to end session and start transmitting data by converting and reconverting from

digital to analog electrical signals.The repetiion of amlification of the received electrical

signals is done by your exchnage switches.

b) you use a deicated connection, in this case there is no routing based on numbers its pure P2P

connection between two points via your telco's digital exchange switches and they do the

cross connects between two points.

c) Why other telco's are involved. Assume your Point1 is located on telco1 and point 2 is on telco2.

How do you connect both. For such cases there are exchange point generally called MMR or

Meet Me Rooms, where carrier connect to other carriers to carry the locally hauled traffic

to be put on to other carriers.

So for Example

Point 1 <--OC3/DS3--> Last Mile <--->Telco 1 Telco 2<---> Last Mile <-STM16 Chan-> Point 2

IF your main point has secure and invested for a last mile and connectivuty for STM16 they can connect

multiple locations assumeing they are DS3/OC3 and haul them back to main locaitons via a MMR to

the main location. This is a typical scenario why you need to involve other telcos, the main reason

being one point has already invested in a last mile and second important thing one of the telco;s

doesnt have a presense to provide service in the location where your other end point is located.

Now the question is how do you connect to your office from your home.

Here a a few methods on how you can connect.

Now coming to your DSL access this will provide you internet access. So using the option

of INternet you can connect to your office and they also should have a high speed internet

connection.

Second option via DSL is you connect to a local exchange DSLAM and the provider bridges

you incoming PVC onto a specific VLAN and carries this VLAN till your office on his

Metro E cloud. For this you office should also have a DSL or ethrent conneciton to this

same service provider.

Apart from this, there isnt any specific or one single document covering all the basics

of physical media types used under networking and how they are provisioned.

Digging for each and every specific query withing books for a particular topic

would be of help to you for specific documentation you need.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thank you for the response, i give it an A+. ;) In the beginning i was basically asking how to setup a ppp connection from work to home utilizing the bandwidth that's already there, almost making the office act as an internet provider. In asking i wasn't sure how the PPP connection could be established without going through the telco.. And that's why i said maybe the DSL option was a better route. I've been looking into the 6000 and 3600 series routers with DSLAM modules installed, this would work activating my own connection over a POTS line no? Or would i still have to get the telco involved? That's what confuses me. I think if I had the equipment and manual in front of me I might be able to answer that, but being a broke student it's almost impossible. =] Thank you for your time and input, I really appreciate it.

To get DSL or any other high speed ciruit to your location you will have to involve the telco unless you own the copper between your house and your office. You could take the DSl ciruit and have it mapped to a VP/VC on you OC3 at your office and that would give you connection ot the office. You could do the same with a Frame Relay connection.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: