Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Juniper ping issues

ravisambaji
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have a peculiar issue with the ping,plz see the diagram attached for topology.

1) when i ping from the Cisco 7613 to the Juniper ERX 1440, i get the intermittent ping drops, where in if i ping from the Juniper ERX 1440 to Cisco 7613, i will not get any intermittent ping drops

2) if i ping to Juniper ERX 1440 from the pc, i will not get any intermittent ping drops

3) when i ping to the Cisco 7613 from the pc, i will not get any intermittent ping drops.

what could be the issue????

Regards

Ravi

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ravi

I wonder if the issue is the rate at which ping is sent.

HTH

Rick

Hi,

is there a way to control the rate at which icmp echo requests are sent?

aqasim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ravi,

I came across a similar issue with Juniper..These juniper routers have ICMP throtling on which gives preference to other processes over ICMP replies..it may also gives preference to not connected IPs when replying to ICMP.

abulfarah
Level 1
Level 1

This is the case related to Juniper's rate limiting on the ICMPs. Ideally this is not recommended by Juniper to have icmps act freely. What i can suggest is to limit the number of ICMPs packets using filter limit-icmp under firewall. Please correct me if you feel something was missed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: