Views
Helpful
Replies

GRE over MPLS

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Has anyone here implemented "GRE over MPLS"?

Would it be possible to point to some links discussing advantages/disadvantages and some design aspects of the same?

Thanks

Cheers,

~sultan

7 Replies 7

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Where do you mean to enable the GRE ? At CE or at PE side ?

If enable at CE, it is just like normal GRE setting and no special command.

If enable at PE, it is not recommended due to high CPU loading to all VRFs.

Hope this helps.

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sultan,

Not quite sure, what is the expected implementation. Can u take some time to elaborate the same.

Thanks,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Actually I was just being paranoid about this...

I went ahead and tested the same successfully, wanted to know the whether the tunnel status incase of MPLS core links going down and such stuff... got the appropiate traps...

Basically just wanted to know from the guys in here about any issue that might have been encountered.

But since now having tested the same there is no problem.

Thanks for your kind reply...

Cheers,

~sultan

Hi Sultan,

Since you have tested it, thats the best way to go.

Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop

Can you pm your number to my mail id ?

regds

Hi,

maybe that's not so usefull for your requirements, but I've used gre tunnel on MPLS topology just to transport multiple vpn on the same site (vrf lite).

Normally I prefer different VLAN or PVC, but in some cases I've used GRE tunnel over FR on the same PVC.

However see that:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801e1294.shtml

HTH

Andrea

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

Thanks for all the answers, I did manage to test the same and found out that I was being paranoid without giving much thought to it...

Thanks

Cheers

~sultan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: