Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

H-VPLS

while a lot of vendors support H-VPLS, it's not supported by 6500/7600. Does anyone have some details why it's not supported?

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: H-VPLS

You may've been misinformed. Cisco does support H-VPLS as described in section 11 of draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-ldp-02.txt. It not only includes the 6500/7600 but the portfolio of Cisco Metro Ethernet products. I'd suggest you contact your local Cisco sales representative for further details.

Hope this helps.

SA

--

But 6500/7600 doc states clearly that H-VPLS is not supported. From the doc "Configuring Multiprotocol Label Switching on

the Optical Services Modules":

• Hub-and-spoke and H-VPSL are not supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_module_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801e5c06.html

H-VPLS is not supported nowhere in Cisco portfolio, and as long as I know it is not planned. Cisco does not believe in VPLS (no matter that they participate in development) as you can see in some Cisco documents and news (if you search for VPLS). You can find documents "why no VPLS" but not "why Yes VPLS". I really know some specific cases where VPLS is needed, but anyway, with loose of capacity, some AtoMs, QinQ and L2Tunnelling it is possible to simulate such functionality. If you want some specific info you can contact me directly.

Hi,

I need to transport some customers VLANs transparently over a SP backbone. I have a TV/Multicast VLAN that is shared by all my 3750 M which are connected in a ring topology. The problem is that EoMPLS is point-to-point at the moment, at least on 3750 M. VPLS is not on the roadmap.

QnQ would fit better for my any-to-any needs. Unfortunately I cannot have feedback of such an implementation from Cisco. Do you have experience on this? I just want to know if it does work.

Thanks

We're using Q-in-Q for several customers on our MAN, and it works as documented, as does L2PT (tested with CDP and STP, but not VTP as we (and our customers) turn off VTP by default). Astuces:

- Only tested both of these technologies with CatOS 7.6

- Only tested with point-to-point vlan connections.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Do you start the encapsulation of the 802.1Q frames on other platerforms than Cat6k? (i.e., does it work on something else than Cat6k?)

Emmanuel

Views
Helpful
Replies