Views
Helpful
Replies

ME3600X 1G SFPs on 10G unlicensed ports

apasquino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Networkers,

I wonder if somebody has been working with ME3600X (24xcopper + 2x10G) without the license "ME3600X-10G".

Is it possible to insert in the two 10G ports 1G SFPs (for example

GLC-SX-MM) ? I read some posts on the internet about this subject but they are not so clear.

Thanks a lot

Andrea

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

It definitely DOES work.  I have a number of ME3600X's in the field, without the 10G license but with 1G SFPs such as the GLC-SX-MM in the uplink ports, and they work fine.

If however you put a 10G SFP+ module in the slots those won't work - an error is displayed on the console and link does not come up, but that is I guess, to be expected.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

It definitely DOES work.  I have a number of ME3600X's in the field, without the 10G license but with 1G SFPs such as the GLC-SX-MM in the uplink ports, and they work fine.

If however you put a 10G SFP+ module in the slots those won't work - an error is displayed on the console and link does not come up, but that is I guess, to be expected.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but this is the closest thing I've found to a problem I'm having:

I have a GLC-SX-MMD (Cisco branded) in one of the 10G SFP+ ports (te0/1), but the interface never comes up. Weirdly, the other end of the fibre (on an ASR9001) shows as up/up and if I do a 'shut' on te0/1 on the ME3600X, the interface goes down on the ASR and back up again when I do a 'no shut'.

Is there anything you have to 'do' to get normal 1G SFPs working in the 10G SFP+ ports? Any odd commands you have to issue?

Many thanks

Rich.

Okay, in case anyone else stumbles across my post, I've fixed it. Turns out to be a known 'interoperability' issue between the ME3x00X series and the ASR9000.

Lifted directly from the interoperability guide:

10GE ports on CISCO ME3600X/3800X operating at 1Gig rate
On CISCO ME3600X/3800X  the TenGig Ethernet ports can operate at 1 Gig when 1 Gig SFPs are plugged in. In such scenarios additional interoperability commands are required.

Auto negotiation is disabled by default on Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces in CISCO ASR 9000.
Auto negotiation is enabled by default on Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces in CISCO ME3600X/3800X and CISCO ASR 903.  

To establish the link between CISCO ASR 9000 and CISCO ME3600X/3800X, enable auto negotiation on CISCO ASR 9000.   

CISCO ME3600X/3800X Configuration

interface TenGigabitEthernet0/1
end

CISCO ASR 9000 Configuration

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0/1
 negotiation auto