cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ME3750 as "internet" router

ewong0088
Level 1
Level 1

Any help is appreciated. Will be upgrading from 10MB to 100MB ethernet for internet access. Need to know if a ME3750 will do the job. I don't need any services like ipsec, BGP,etc. No voice traffic neither. Just to use this to route to upstream ISP. can't afford a 7201 or 7204 router right now.

If you have the real world experience using a ME3750 as what I describe above, please share!

Any help and pointer is much appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

sjamison76
Level 1
Level 1

The ME3750 should work fine. It probably has a lot more features to it than you will probably need. A regular 3750 would work just as fine as well. I dont know if one is cheaper than the other. I do know you cannot stack a ME3750.

The only thing I would do is change the sdm profile from Layer2 to routing. It optimizes the switch with buffers and such. You can see what the SDM template is when it ships by doing a show sdm prefer. If it shows Layer2, just change it to default.

"sdm prefer default"

sjamison76
Level 1
Level 1

The ME3750 should work fine. It probably has a lot more features to it than you will probably need. A regular 3750 would work just as fine as well. I dont know if one is cheaper than the other. I do know you cannot stack a ME3750.

The only thing I would do is change the sdm profile from Layer2 to routing. It optimizes the switch with buffers and such. You can see what the SDM template is when it ships by doing a show sdm prefer. If it shows Layer2, just change it to default.

"sdm prefer default"

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: