cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro E design question

sylliaas1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Qwest GeoMax connecting two data centers and have an oppurtunity for some configuration changes at each data center locations.

My question is, Is MPLS what I need to look at for confiuration. I need to have A server at location A and B with-in the same network, but also would like to have some layer 3 running. Is MPLS a inbetween of layer2/layer3.

6 Replies 6

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Yes.. MPLS is generally considered to operate at layer 2.5 !

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Is this how you push layer 2 VLANS or a differnet network, across a router.

Hi,

Yes. One method of extending VLANs across a layer 3 network is to use Ethernet over MPLS or VPLS, which transports tagged (or untagged) Ethernet frames over MPLS.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

In general speaking MPLS is layer 2.5. But actually there is no layer 2.5 in the OSI or TCP/IP stack. If you analyse the frame and packet header formats, you will find that MPLS is actually layer2.

raj.panchal
Level 1
Level 1

Surely MPLS would help

You can have L2 and L3 connectivity both within the same physical connectivity if required . But it boils down to how u would wish to handle routing and traffic.

Pls rate the post if it helps ..

raj

Are you going to handle MPLS service?

If not does your provider offer layer 2 and layer 3 service on same „line“, port or what ever and if it does will you pay more for it?

As i see it easiest way is to get layer 2 service and then build you own MPLS connectivity between sites. That will solve it all.