Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Metro E design question

We have a Qwest GeoMax connecting two data centers and have an oppurtunity for some configuration changes at each data center locations.

My question is, Is MPLS what I need to look at for confiuration. I need to have A server at location A and B with-in the same network, but also would like to have some layer 3 running. Is MPLS a inbetween of layer2/layer3.

• Metro
6 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Metro E design question

Yes.. MPLS is generally considered to operate at layer 2.5 !

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Is this how you push layer 2 VLANS or a differnet network, across a router.

Purple

Hi,

Yes. One method of extending VLANs across a layer 3 network is to use Ethernet over MPLS or VPLS, which transports tagged (or untagged) Ethernet frames over MPLS.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

In general speaking MPLS is layer 2.5. But actually there is no layer 2.5 in the OSI or TCP/IP stack. If you analyse the frame and packet header formats, you will find that MPLS is actually layer2.

Surely MPLS would help

You can have L2 and L3 connectivity both within the same physical connectivity if required . But it boils down to how u would wish to handle routing and traffic.

Pls rate the post if it helps ..

raj

Are you going to handle MPLS service?

If not does your provider offer layer 2 and layer 3 service on same „line“, port or what ever and if it does will you pay more for it?

As i see it easiest way is to get layer 2 service and then build you own MPLS connectivity between sites. That will solve it all.

Views
Helpful
Replies