cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro network design

salam66
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to design a metro ethernet network using cisco equipment. The network is going to connect around 15 to twenty pops from which customers are connected via xDSL, PON or fiber media converters. We already have the access networks in place.

The customers are mainly enterprise customers and run applications requiring high speed Internet, video streaming and VOIP. The amount of bandwidth provisoned for customers range from 512k to 2Mb. We expect around 100 customers per pop in the first year. We also want to target Telcos and sell them BTS to MSC connectivity similar to E1 clear channel circuits.

I was thinking of the 7600 VXR series routers with Gigabit ethernet ports to build the backbone and the cisco 4500 or the 3750 metro switches for access. However, I want to check with people on this forum whether this configuration is correct. I am concerned about cost and network capacity.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Salam

You can refer the below link where you have the possible hardware config which can be deployed in different layers of metro ethernet network..

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/largeent/TEMP/CiscoMetroServices_brochure.pdf

regds

dlitvin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Salam

There is no "right" answer in your case. There is no enough information in your message to decide with no doubts.

It depends on services set you are to provide to your customers, reliability/functionality level you are to achieve.

Backbone: Cisco XR12000 could be viable option even comparable with pricing - there are interesting bundles available since last year. I prefer this platform for backbone in term of stability for carrier class but there are some limitations offered with such a P/PE.

Edge: For sure you should consider Cisco 3400, Cisco 3750ME and Cisco 7600 sup32 depending on performance/port density needed.

Very important issue is topology - do you have aggregation rings or you don't. Another great topic is multicast support - this should be addressed carefully...

Anyway - good luck - if you have specific questions you could send me an email with no hesitation...

Kind regards,

/dmitri