Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Metro topology and STP protocol

Hi, I have a backbone made by SDH technology and there are a lot of point of metro aggregation access places connected to. Connected to that access (up to 40 KM) place there are sinlge centers that r teach the final customer. All the structure is made by fiber optic. The idea is to use layer 3 equipment to connect the access places. Wthat about the topology; shoul be better use a ring to connet the access places? What about the spanning three protocol; how can I eliminate it?

Thanks

3 REPLIES

Re: Metro topology and STP protocol

Since you have multiple acces agg points, a ring on the phy layer conecting these points would be ideal. And you may want to run RSTP on the routing/switching devices to on layer 2 to break the loop.

If you dont want the STP to be run, then you can have a dual self healing ring in the core connecting the agg locations and then provision point to point circuits with the central location.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks. Probably I have not undestood very well; if I use layer 3 in the access node it is completly eliminated the STP? I tought that STP is only with layer 2 only. Otherways, why not?

Francesca

Ok, If you plan to use pure routing with layer 3 devices you definately wont need STP.

And you would be good to go, if you can take care of the healover on the physical layer.

I assumed you original post was to do with deploying a METRO ring.Anyways its ok.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Views
Helpful
Replies