Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

need help with 7204vxr and metro-e

ok i have a cisco 7204vxr that i am trying to use for metro ethernet that we had turned up today that is dmarc'd and ready.

the isp gave us this:
Customer router IP
Customer router default gateway "not sure how to set that up"

and customer network IP range

i have the assigned FastEthernet 3/0 port in the front bay of the router the IP address and subnet that our ISP gave us for our router address.  this interface is connected to the d'marc.

i have also assigned GigabitEthernet 1/0 in the back of the router with the an ip and subnet from the ip range we were given for our use and saved the config.

if i take a laptop and plug in into the GigabitEthernet 1/0 on the back and assign it an ip and subnet from our new useable range and the ISP's dns i can't browse or ping anything past of the router.

i am able to ping the ISP's router from the mine.

i have not set up any routes because i am not sure what to do yet.

any help would be appreciated as our current ISP is turning our business' service off at midnight tonight.

1 REPLY

Re: need help with 7204vxr and metro-e

ok i have a cisco 7204vxr that i am trying to use for metro ethernet that we had turned up today that is dmarc'd and ready.

the isp gave us this:
Customer router IP
Customer router default gateway "not sure how to set that up"

and customer network IP range

i have the assigned FastEthernet 3/0 port in the front bay of the router the IP address and subnet that our ISP gave us for our router address. this interface is connected to the d'marc.

i have also assigned GigabitEthernet 1/0 in the back of the router with the an ip and subnet from the ip range we were given for our use and saved the config.

if i take a laptop and plug in into the GigabitEthernet 1/0 on the back and assign it an ip and subnet from our new useable range and the ISP's dns i can't browse or ping anything past of the router.

i am able to ping the ISP's router from the mine.

i have not set up any routes because i am not sure what to do yet.

any help would be appreciated as our current ISP is turning our business' service off at midnight tonight.

Hi,

As per the thread what i understand a router with two interface one facing towards the isp with point to point link and other end as lan interface,If yes then you need to configure a default route towards your isp for outgoing traffic and ask your isp to put a reverse route for your local lan subnet towards your routers want interface.

Hope that Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content