cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie Question - metro-E Route or switch

ewong0088
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Metro-E "point-to-point" connection between two sites. Right now, I have routers on both ends to route traffic and they are on different subnets. I am now in need to mesh these two sites together and turn it into one subnet. Can I just simply take my routers out from both ends and replace them with switches. Turn the two ports (one in each end on the switch) to trunk port and that it will just work? My knowledge on Metro-E is, obviously, very limited. In short, right now, both ends are on different subnet. Result wanted: both ends with be on the same subnet.

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies 3

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI, [Pls RATE if HELPS]

If your Offices are physically seperated (ie., at different locations) means,

purchase a Ethernet Link and terminate on the L3 SWITCH then configure the access port as below:

interface FastEthernet0/4

description << 10 Mb LINK

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

end

Later, configure the VLAN Interface / Sub-interface between the WAN Interface of the Offices (on a Private Segment).

Hope I am Informative.

Pls RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Thank you for your help. However though, I'm still not clear why I need to configure a VLAN. Think of it this way if you will. Both sites will eventauly be on the same, for example, default VLAN. That's the effect I want to accomplish. Since I'm not going to route, why a L3 device? I'm more or less thinking the Metro-E this way: the Metro-E is nothing but a long cable :). I may be wrong, or dead wrong. Yes, the sites are physically separated. Please clarify.

Thank you so much.

deschete
Level 1
Level 1

In our area, the fine details of how this behaves depends on how the connection has been provisioned.

If the connection is indeed "dedicated" metro ethernet and only connects "point to point" then I believe you can remove the routers and use trunking to extend your existing LAN to this site as if it were another floor or area of your building.

Do you know if the existing configurations use 802.1Q trunking to uplink to the ME connection?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: