Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Pseudowire redundancy

I want to connect a L2 domain redundantly to A VPLS cloud. I am struggling to get this done without creating any loops.

The customer has a its own L2 domain and wants to connect it via L2 to the VPLS cloud. As the customer has also spanned vlans between his two sites this will introduce a loop. Packets exit PE-1 to CE-1. Traversee the customer L2 cloud and reenter the VPLS cloud again Via CE-2 and PE-2.

Obviously an unwanted situation.

I was thinking if I could solve this with Pseudowire redundancy. If I am correct only if both ends of the PW decide the PW should become active it starts forwarding traffic. If the backups are configured as below I should only have one PW active at all times

CE-1( CE11 in drawing my mistake)  fails PE-1 transfers it PW to CE-2 to Active state

PE-1 fails and CE-1 makes The PW to PE-2 active.

The PW between PE-2 and CE-2 is just in case of a dual failure and unlikely to ever becoming active.

The alternative woulde be to make CE-1 and CE-2 part of the STP domain but I prefer no to become involved in the customer L2 STP domain

Views
Helpful
Replies