Views
Helpful
Replies

Resilient packet ring over DS3?

rrfield
Level 1
Level 1

"Hypothetical" situation.

An enterprise has 6 sites connected to each other via private point-to-point DS3's in a ring topology. No SONET, straight DS3. (see attachment)

Is it possible to run RPR over DS3? If yes, can the ONS-15310-CL do this? I see the 15310 has three DS3 interfaces, but the documentation I've pulled up looks like RPR has to run on the expansion card.

Idealy RPR would run over the DS3 interfaces and the expansion slot would be the ML-100T-8, which would be 802.1q tunnel interfaces.

Am I way off here? I admit I don't know what I'm talking about, but this could end up being a very flexible solution for my company.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Hello,

I was looking at the same document, but the way I read it is that you need the ML-Series 8-Port 10/100 Ethernet Card in order to support RPR (each card supports 2 RPR instances)...

Regards,

GNT

Yeah, that's what I get out of that article also, no mention of the DS3 ports being able to participate in a RPR ring with the addition of the ML card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: