Helpful
Replies

Selecting metro switches

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I was looking at the following configuration guide for ME3400E

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/metro/me3400e/software/release/12.2_44_ey/configuration/guide/swintro.html

Almost all the features listed are present in 3850/3560x switches also, so instead of ME3400E, can i use 3850/3560x switches for metro ethernet ?

Also i am trying to understand what differenties these 2 product lines -> Metro ethernet switches and non-metro ethernet switches ?

3 Replies 3

geir.jensen
Level 1
Level 1

Have you considered the new ME2600X series?
On the 2600x a vlan tag is local to a physical interface, and it's not related to the same vlan tag on another interface. This gives you more flexibility in how you connect your customers. On the me3400 vlans are global, and apart from the UNI/NNI interface config they are basically office switches in my opinion.
The 2600x implements the EVC features and are more suited for carrier ethernet products.

Geir Jensen

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

I wouldn't put a regular Catalyst for Metro deployment. You will surely run into some limitations, like not doing MPLS.

As Geir suggested the ME2600 is suitable for layer 2 deployments and if you want to do more advanced deployments look at ME3600/3800. They are very capable switches.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The primary differences between "LAN" switches and Metro Ethernet switches is feature support and/or some hardware differences.  For example, on the latter, some of the Metro Ethernet switches have larger interface buffers than the "comparative" series of LAN switches (making them more suitable for heavier usage).  Or, for example, some LAN switches support stacking and/or VSS, I don't recall any Metro Ethernet switches having those features.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: