Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan translation and Swapping

Asemmoqbel
Level 1
Level 1

Heey, all

As an ISP provider, We are trying to connect Multiple customer sites via our Mpls core.

our plan to give each customer site a different vlan ( c-vlan) and then translated to S-vlan to transport the frames through our network. we know about vlan map as we map each customer vlan to s-vlan but this is Symmetrica operation which I read on cisco article

(On an interface configured for VLAN mapping, the specified C-VLAN packets are mapped to the specified S-VLAN when they enter the port. Symmetrical mapping back to the customer C-VLAN occurs when packets exit the port.)

But this won't work in our design because we want to assign a different vlan at each customer site. 

I read on junpier articles they have a technology vlan swapping which swap c-vlan with new s-vlan by discarding the c-vlan tag and adding a new s-vlan tag.

This is written in juniper article:

(VLAN translation (swapping) replaces an incoming C-VLAN tag with an S-VLAN tag instead of adding an additional tag. The C-VLAN tag is therefore lost,)

Is there any similar technology in cisco?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

On your PE1, the config should looks like:

interface g0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan none
 switchport mode trunk
 service instance 1 ethernet
   encapsulation dot1q 2150
   rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

xconnect x.x.x.x 1 encapsulation mpls

On PE2, it will be:

interface g0/1

switchport mode trunk
   encapsulation dot1q 123

The frame arrives to your PE1 tagged and when sending out through xconnect, the tag will be removed. A new tag will be added on PE2 with the vlan configured under the service instance. This behaviour of tag removing is done by rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

Does that help?

I'm sorry, I was planning to connect on 1 of my routers to make some wireshark and show the different frames but didn't had time for that.

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

Before talking about configurations, did you tried with EVC (service instance configuration)?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

To be clear on our needs in here, I attach a design explains how we want our design.

I read about EVC but I couldn't have solid understanding to apply in my design. if it will meet my requirment Can you please explain it to me.

I will be very thankful.

Hi

On your PE1, the config should looks like:

interface g0/1

switchport mode trunk
   encapsulation dot1q 2150

On PE2, it will be:

interface g0/1

switchport mode trunk
   encapsulation dot1q 123

The frame arrives to your PE1 tagged and when sending out through xconnect, the tag will be removed. A new tag will be added on PE2 with the vlan configured under the service instance. This behaviour of tag removing is done by rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

Does that help?

I'm sorry, I was planning to connect on 1 of my routers to make some wireshark and show the different frames but didn't had time for that.

Thanks

Thanks
Francesco

It really seems to work in this kind of logic. I wish I could practice this lab on simulator but no hope since this commands are not avaiable inn GNS3.

Thanks,,

Hi,

Yeah it will works for sure and this is quite simple and standard design for ISPs.
With GNS3, it won't work, perhaps with IOU images you can have a try but not sure.
Maybe with Virl it will works.

Thanks
Francesco