Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VPLS and RPR

I am getting a lot confused on proposing VPLS or RPR for the metro solution. Can anyone guide me on the plus and minus or comparisons on VPLS and RPR technologies ????

Some links could be really usefull.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES

Re: VPLS and RPR

Based on my understanding, VPLS and RPR cannot be compared to each other since they are two different technologies to perform different functions although these two technologies can work hand in hand. VPLS would give you ethernet multipoint connectivity across many packet-switched technologies. RPR/ Resilient Packet Ring I believe would give you resiliency in the network with theoretical response of 50ms-200ms in fail-over as compared to ethernet technologies like RSTP, STP and Cisco's DPT.

VPLS - Virtual Private LAN Service

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk891/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00801ed3bf.shtml

RPR - Resilient Packet Ring

http://www.networkworld.com/details/533.html?def

Cheers!

hi,

But i thought both compete each other when asked the basic question what technology one wants to deploy when planning for a metro network. Even service providers are inviting solutions with option A of vpls or option B of RPR when deploying new networks.

But as you pointed out I too couldnt get hold to something which compares both, so i presume that could be either both cant be directly compared or my search engine is dying ;-)

Thanks for the reply

In my opinion, it would be best if it'll have RPR for resiliency and fast-failover. VPLS if your customers would later require ethernet multipoint connections in the future. I would like to have all my links to have RPR/DPT if possible because I don't want downtime.

Please rate posts if it has answered your questions.

Views
Helpful
Replies