Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPLS Network Design

Hi, I am planning to deploy VPLS in my network, but limitation resources :(

Let say we have 3 core routers (P router, GSR12008 or 7507) at 3 differnt node. If we put the 3750Me back to back with the P router and then run VPLS.

Can it be done? 3750Me will act as n-PE and u-PE both at the same time.

Basiccaly the idea is to provide L2 services. We plan to use VPLS. We assume that there will be no changes at our P

routers, so we are thinking putting 3750Me at edge as PE. From this

3750Me will conected to customer. All PE will form together to create

VPLS ( i think of using the vfi command).

Is this correct what i design? Can it be done? We do not have 7600 or 124xx.. Hope somebody can give a comment

8 REPLIES

Re: VPLS Network Design

Hi Mazlan,

Yes your 3750 does support VPLS. but there are two things to it.

1) First is making a feature work.

2) Second is to making it scale as per the current & future requirements.

So if your requirement of L2 services is to only handful of customer, without any real SLA's about redundancy then you can surely consider 3750 for such a service.

Rest all seems fine with the IDEA. expect for the scaling and redundancy. So if these two things are not a major problem then you may try to offer such a service using 3750 in the beggining and then later on as per the business demand and scale you can scale up your devices as well.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

Thanks for the comment. Yes this design will have scaling issue (solution is H-VPLS right?). Redundancy also will be issue. As i said, we have limited sources. I think this is the best way it can be done for now.

Just to make this clear, so this 3750Me can do PW to all other 3750Me so it can be like point to multipoint? Is my understanding correct? All L2 customer just feel they are in same LAN. (Just like VPN)?

Any comment?

thanks

--mazlan

Hi Mazlan,

3750 supports VPLS, yes but purely as an extension of the E-LAN service downwards into the Metro-Access cloud. And the same is termed as H-VPLS. It is ntohing more than assigning a SP vlan to a trunl/access port of a customer, carrying that VLAN within your Metro-Ring, which is purely L2 and if the same customer has multiple connection on the same ring then all connection would be put in the same VLAN. hence giving a E-LAN service (Multipoint) now the same vlan is extended to you NPE and transported using VFI(VPLS). So you see why its called H-VPLS. You have two levels of Multipoint service. First level is provided on layer 2 withing Metro E Access rings, second level is provided by VPLS VFI across Metro-E islands.

Now if you want to configure your 3750 as PE device at maximum you can only do P2P EoMPLS and VRF's.

Also you cannot make P2M for the same VLAN or interface. As only P2P config is supported.

If you can explain what is the service requirement then we can think. how many customers currently need M2M service, how many P2P etc.

HTH-Cheers.

Swaroop

Although VPLS is not supported we can work it out if the total pops where you are provising this service is 3 only.

For the same reason I had asked, can u tell me what are your service requirements in my last post.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

We are thinking of providing Layer2 services and Metro-E services. SInce 3750Me cannot do the vfi, so we will consider of 7600 :( or is there any router that can replace the 7600?

We re planning to deploy at around 10 pops. So doing EoMPLS i think, is not the best way.

Any way thank you for the post.. You really help me out to clear things up.

Thanks,

--mazlan

Hi Mazlan,

That would be a good way to go, for VPLS.

Currently VPLS imposition can be done by 7600 and GSR. I am not very sure about ONS or CRS although as i am not aware.

Just to add, you may need to procure OSM or SIP/SPA cards for the same.(IMP)

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hello Mazlan/Swaroop,

Sorry for hijacking your conversations...

I have a small question for Swaroop here, when you say that 3750s can support VPLS, do you mean that we can create vfi and xconnects on the same box?

As for my knowledge it can be used just for connecting Attachment circuits..

Thanks

Cheers,

P.S: Pls ignore, wrote the same before Swaroop's last reply...

~sultan

Hi Sultan,

I have replied to that question in my previous reply. I just believe it got overlooked.

One more thing,I believe you reliazed when sending the message that I have replied in my previous post clarfying the same VFI , xconnect part.

Now I was wondering how did you add that comment, PS: pls ignore......

Did you do it after you posted the reply...as sometimes even I have wanted to edit my posts...but I dont know how...

Cheers!!

Swaroop

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content