Views
Helpful
Replies

xconnect and l2tp

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

Could someone tell me the difference between the two.

Also, xconnect documentation says we should disable spanning tree in the supervisory for the E0MPLS vlan?? I am confussed, how can i disable spanning tree of a vlan that belongs to a customer? that means that is the customer has vlan 10, i can not use vlan 10 in my core as i would not be able to run spanning tree for it??

2 Replies 2

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

parwal i cant really even begin to describe the differences as there is a whole 3 chapters of a book which describes what happens. The xconnect command is used with either mpls or l2tpv3 encapsulations. The only reason why spanning tree being disabled is mentioned is within the SP arena - these links are only point to point so whats the point in having spanning-tree running on the vlans. From the customer point of view yes they do require spanning tree (possibly if this vlan spans many areas and loops about the place).

Please correct me if I am wrong, for xconnect all the vlans that are being transported over the MPLS or IP backbone will be excluded from the switch. That means as soon as you use the subinterface or interface vlan command on the switch and apply xconnect command, that vlan will not be allowed to be created in the switches database to isolate STP domains, am I right?