Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

2 CE routers with HSRP

hi,

we have 2*Cisco 3845 router, running as HSRP, and the two routers will be CE router, i am not sure how many PE routers the SP has, may have 1 PE, so basicly, for HSRP virtual IP will be face to the PE, for this setting, is there anything need to pay attention?

thanks for any input

3 REPLIES

Re: 2 CE routers with HSRP

Hello,

There is one thing, which is not completely clear for me now. Will the HSRP really be used towards the PE, or is it used towards the LAN interface towards your local network?

In case you use HSRP towards the PE - which requires LAN connectivity between CE and PE - the SP will have to use a static route pointing to the virtual IP routing the networks behind the CE routers. There is no problem with that, the SP should know how to achieve this.

The second issue is the routing entry in your CE routers. The way you described the setup I would assume a static default route pointing to the PE IP address should work.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

thanks your input

i am not clear about your answer

first, the HSRP virtual IP is facing the PE, i am not sure how many PE routers they have, may have 1, may have 2 running as another HSRP, but it is out of my scope

if we have to put one switch between our 2*CE and the PE, I think it is better to have 2*switches for the redundancy, so in this case, the SP have to have 2*PE

because I don't know the setup details, so i can not ask more specific questions, but in my situation, what is the best practice

again, thanks for your input

Bronze

Is the provider allowing for two physical terminations? If so, have you looked at running BGP with the provider. Its not as fast as HSRP, but you get other benefits from the protocol.

Views
Helpful
Replies