Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 as MPLS PE !!!

sultan-shaikh
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I came across this link "http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5532/product_data_sheet0900aecd806e27b9.html"

It says that 3750 can be used as an L2/L3 PE... for me it sounds too good to be true.

Am I missing something... is anyone here using these to provide MPLS based L2/L3 services.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Cheers

~sultan

22 Replies 22

I'm willing to deploy it for some small sites. Do you think it could be relevant to use it as a CE-PE-Agregator switch. In the other hand, i can use a cisco 2811 as a CE-PE and a 3560 as an agregator switch.

What is the best solution?

Hi Mathieu,

Weird, it sure is... infact I am also still puzzled that when cisco site has documents that say that we can use this as L3PE the account managers I spoke to said that it should not be.

This was the reason I came here for second opinion and for some insights from folks who have this in their production deployments...

I for one have given up on this and went for ME6524 :-) it promises much, let's see if it delivers the same :-P

Cheers

~sultan

As for me, i'm gonna borrow a 3750Metro to run some lab tests as a PE router, I let you know if I have some new informations about it.

I've borrowed a 3750Metro and i'm running it as a PE, it works fine !! But there is a big problem... The ES ports (the only ports that can be use for MPLS) are gigabitethernet interfaces. You can't change the speed ! So I don't know how we can deploy it... I see the 3750M as the perfect solution for our small agencies but I surely don't have a gbit connection on those...

there is only ES port can run MPLS at 3750M, and be careful of MTU, you can refer to document about 3750M.

good luck!

sultan-shaikh, I want to add that maybe your account manager try to prevent you from using that kind of devices because it will save you lot of money because in some case, you must be able to create an entire remote agency with one equipment (let's imagine you have 10 computers, you can run a 3750M as a PE-CE and access switch !)

colinc_unisys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mathieu

Did you find a solution to the ES port speed issue, We are considering using 3750ME's as PE's but we would like to connect them to 100M circuits

Hi,

There is no solution except using a 10/100/1000 switch between your 100mbit circuit and the 3750M... It's a stupid solution but no other way. I give up the 3750M solution and come back to a classical ISR solution (28xx with hwic card).