Views
Helpful
Replies

3750ME suppport VPLS?

mazlan.alatif
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can i know wther cat3750Me support for VPLS? I would like to design MetroE using cat3750 as PE.

We tried using EoMPLS but it seems its only for point to point. We try to find solution for multipoint/distribution PE (cat3750). Can VPLS do this or is there other way?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Mazlan,

It looks like VPLS is the solution you want. The 3750 Metro Series does support VPLS. You will need 12.2(5)SED for H-VPLS support. The switch supports H-VPLS using IEEE 802.1Q tunneling or Ethernet over multiprotocol label switching (EoMPLS).

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh.

View solution in original post

Yeah, Mazlan, VPLS would appear to be the answer here.

The Cisco Press book "Layer 2 VPN Architectures" (ISBN: 1-58705-168-0) has coverage of a number of L2VPN technologies, including a decent chapter on VPLS. I've found that book to be really good.

Apart from that, I have not been able to find any books that cover VPLS .. I don't believe anyone has come out with a VPLS-specific book yet...

For general info, you can also check out the following site (maintained by my company):

http://www.alcatel.com/bnd/vpls/

There are a lot of useful white papers and other documents here that you may indeed find interesting.

I've also just bought 'Metro Ethernet' by Sam Halabi (ISBN: 158705096X) - it's got a chapter on VPLS and seems to look pretty good.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Mazlan,

It looks like VPLS is the solution you want. The 3750 Metro Series does support VPLS. You will need 12.2(5)SED for H-VPLS support. The switch supports H-VPLS using IEEE 802.1Q tunneling or Ethernet over multiprotocol label switching (EoMPLS).

Paresh.

Hi Paresh,

Thank you for the anwser. So it seems that VPLS is the best solution instead of EoMPLS? I work with ISP and we want to deploy cat3750 all over country to run MetroE services and i guess VPLS can do this.

By the way any suggestion from you on good reading material for VPLS? I tried seacrhin in CCO but nothing much. Also no config sample found :(

--mazlan

Yeah, Mazlan, VPLS would appear to be the answer here.

The Cisco Press book "Layer 2 VPN Architectures" (ISBN: 1-58705-168-0) has coverage of a number of L2VPN technologies, including a decent chapter on VPLS. I've found that book to be really good.

Apart from that, I have not been able to find any books that cover VPLS .. I don't believe anyone has come out with a VPLS-specific book yet...

For general info, you can also check out the following site (maintained by my company):

http://www.alcatel.com/bnd/vpls/

There are a lot of useful white papers and other documents here that you may indeed find interesting.

I've also just bought 'Metro Ethernet' by Sam Halabi (ISBN: 158705096X) - it's got a chapter on VPLS and seems to look pretty good.

Paresh

Hi Paresh,

Thank you very much... you really help me here :) .. And thanks for the recommendations.. Will keep posting if I find any difficluties in deploying our MetroE and VPLS.

--mazlan

Hi Paresh,

I already finished reading The Cisco Press book "Layer 2 VPN Architectures" Chapter 15 VPLS.

Thanks for recommending me with a simple but great book. Easy to understand and complete with sample.

This helps and make my work easy :) Wish I found this book when i tried to test EoMPLS yesterday.. great example..

--mazlan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: