cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR or 7600 ES+ as mpls P or PE

SaeedBakh_2
Level 1
Level 1

we need to have MPLS P , and all the interfaces will be GE, either to the Core or to the PE,

what i should choose for the MPLS link to the other P and the MPLS link to the PE,

if i will choose 7600 ,should i choose SIP-400 with  SPA-5X1GE-V2              

OR we should use the bellow ES+

7600-ES+20G3C7600 ES+ Line Card, 20xGE SFP with DFC 3C

Also if i choose ASR 9006,  can i use the bellow for MPLS link to the other P and PE

A9K-40GE-L40-Port GE Low Queue Line Card, Requires SFPs

what is your advise ,should we go with 7606 with RSP720 or  ASR 9006.

also  other question if the 7606 will be as PE is 7600-ES+ 20G3C module can be used one port GE to link MPLS to the P and also another port to be used to connected to the customer with AtoM Etherent/vlan psudewire to another PE (7206VXR) or ASR 9006 AtoM Ethernet/VLAN.

Also if we used ASR 9006 as PE, can we use  A9K-40GE-L ethernet module, one port to be connected to P mpls /LDP link and another port as connected to CE with AtoM ethernet/VLAN  psudewire to another PE 7206VXR or 7600 .Atom ethernet /VLAN.

Thank you for your response to all the above

9 Replies 9

a.widiyatmika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ahmed,

We've deployed our MPLS network (P and PE Router) for 4 years plus using ES card family (ES20 - ES40 for 1GE link, ES2TG - ES4TG for 10GE link) and Cisco 7600 series (C7609 and C7606)

Those cards and boxes are suitable enough for our services (MPLS VPN L3 and L2 / EoMPLS) and the combination is cheaper in terms of price and port density compare to Cisco 7600 series with SIP/SPA solution

But if you are planning to have high density 10GE port, please consider to use CRS-1, because price per port will be cheaper and more scalable in terms of 10GE port expansion.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Q1)  thank you for your response, so can we configure MPLS /LDP link to P on7606  ES+ ports and also subinterface vlan to each customer CE on each GE port, also another ES+ ports  to other carrier ASBR (Inter AS option A and Option B).?

Q2) another question do you think the( 7600-ES+20G3C) need to CXL ,to do all the services, AtoM (point to point ,L2 VPN), MPLS L3 VPN,multicast. at the same time,

Q3) and is the ES+ MODULE more powerful  than SIP-400 and SPA 5 GE..

Regards,

Ahmed

Hi Ahmed,

Q1) Actually I never deploy MPLS / LDP link on sub interface, so I'm not so sure on this thing. But we can deploy VRF or xconnect on subinterface / interface vlan. For ES+ card, there is a new way (I think) to config VRF or xconnect under service instance command.

Q2) all ES cards that we used is ES card with DFC 3C for P and PE routers. So far it is enough. The main difference between 3C and 3CXL is about routing table capacity ( 3C : +/- 250K and 3CXL : +/- 1000K ) 

Q3) I don't think that ES card is more powerfull compare to SIP-SPA card. ES card is switching L2 card with L3 capability. SIP - SPA card is routing L3 card. ES card feature is more focus on Metro Ethernet service.

Hopefully the answer can help you.  I share it based on my experience on using Cisco 7600 series + ES card family.

Note : we use ES card with 3CXL DFC for our internet gateway.

regards,

-widi-

Hi Thank you,

so can we configure MPLS/LDP link to the P or PE on one of the ES+ port not subinterface,

my main concern is that can we have PW AtoM XCONNECT on subinterface /vlan on ES+ port from one side as PE and the remote PE 7206VXR NPE-G1, because what i can see there is different way of configuring Psuedowire between ES+ (instant ) and with 7206vxr is xconnect on the subinterface.

so i am worry that the tunnel not come up .

same thing also regarding PW (Atom) ethernet/vlan between ASR 9006 (PE1)  ( 40-Port GE Low Queue Line Card) , and the remote( PE2)  7206VXR,NPE-G1,pleaswe advise

Sorry just i forget to ask, you use the ES+ in your network as L3 Routing ,

Q 1) if we will use the 7600 as P  so you recommend to Have ES+ card or SIP-400 with SPA 5 GE port.

Q2) in your network you use the 7606 with ES+ card for l3 routing or l2 switching., and how many BGP peer on the uplink with full internet routing table update.

Hi Ahmed,

Q1) It will depend on your budget and purposes. Both cards can be used for P router card.

Q2) We use ES cards for L3 routing / switching (MPLS). For our internet gateway, ES card 3CXL, has 4 BGP peer and 2 upstream providers (full internet routing table).

regards,

-widi-

HI, how is your CPU utilization when you have these 4 BGP,

here i have 7 BGP peers with full internet routing table(upstream provider) and my 12000 PRP2 have high cpu utilization,and now planning to enable dual stack IPv6/IPv4, what is your advise, should we upgrade the box and to which model which can handle the existing and after enable ipv6 peers traffic.

Hi Ahmed,

with 4 BGP peer and received full route internet prefix, we didn't experience high cpu except when we got BGP update.

There is an IOS bug relate to this issue. Please consider to use SRD4 or above.

we are on progress for upgrading our internet gateway to Cisco CRS-1.

the most concern is about number of BGP peers and also the internet traffic that we have (more the 10G internet traffic)

regards,

-widi-

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Ahmed,

sorry for late response.

yes you can. xconnect under service instance command basically is same as xconnect under sub-interface. the difference is about how to config on ES+ card and other platform.

regards,

-widi-