ATM over MPLS/MPLS over GRE

ignat.vassilev
Level 1
Level 1

ATM over MPLS/ MPLS over GRE

Hello,

I have following situation:

ATM----CE ---PE=====PE----CE-----ATM

The PE are operator M320 Juniper routers the CE are our 7609 routers with SUP 720 and SIP-200 where the ATM is connected. The operator provides us only with IP connection to his routers and does not accept our routers to be configured as PE. To configure ATM over MPLS I need my routers to be PE. My questions are:

1. Is 7609 support MPLS over GRE (or any other type of tunnel) and do you need any additional hardware?

2. Is anyone have some example of such type of configuration?

Any help or input will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ignat

3 Replies 3

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

From your diagram its evident that the Service provider is giving you reachbility between your CE's using MPLS.

You can do this in two ways.

1)Check with your SP whether he is ok to provide CSC, which can simply things for you.

and your edge CE can act as PE's.

2) Or else use the IP reachability between your CE;s to provision L2TPV3 Pseudowire for L2 Extension.

Here is a reference link for the same:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008016108b.html

If alternatively you plan to run GRE between you 76k and then run MPLS over it, then also its fine, as you have labels for both the IGP path (Using GRE and enabling MPLS on it) and using directed LDP you have labels exchanged for the VC's as well. But to do this confirm with your local SE about the support for Tag-Switching for GRE on 76K.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks Swaroop,

Thanks for the link it is very useful.For sure my SP does not want to provide CSC. They don't whant our 7609s to act as a PE's.

My only choise is to go with something like GRE or L2TPV3. The only problem is I could not find is 76k support tag-switching (MPLS over GRE or MPLS over L2TPV3)

Thanks

Ignat

Yes you are right. Since I am not so good at HW/SW compatibility.

If will be great if you can have a final confirmation from a Cisco SE regarding the same, ie: whether any support for L2TPV3 or GRE with 76K.

Or atleast is there any ray of hope in future in terms of roadmap, since you have a SIP/SPA combination.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop