Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

basic MPLS VPN lab

Hi,

I want to set up a very basic lab for MPLS VPN. Which low end routers can be used for PE and P. I hv less budget.

Thx,

G

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: basic MPLS VPN lab

For full MPLS, you can go as low as some old 2600s. If you are wanting to use tdp, you can use a lower amount of mem and flash and stick with 12.2 code (IP Plus). If you want ldp, then you would be better using 12.3 or 12.4 code (IP Plus). Your P routers do not have to run BGP, they just need to have "mpls ip" or "tag-switching" ip on the interfaces that are going to participate in the MPLS cloud. Your PEs need to have BGP running to handle the label imposition and popping. If you just want to do vrf-lite or multi-vrf, you can go as low as a 1700.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

there is a MPLS IOS for 2500 routers, which should be the cheapest hardware for that purpose. Another option to look into is the Cisco 7200 router simulator

http://www.ipflow.utc.fr/index.php/Cisco_7200_Simulator

It will boot an IOS image (up to NPE-400 is supported). Tried it with IOS 12.4(9)T and it works.

It would allow you to run several routers in parallel on a PC, even interconnect them, which should be sufficient to setup a small MPLS lab.

Regards, Martin

Hi,

Thx all..:)

Can u plz name the MPLS IOS for c2500..Can I get it from feature navigator...

Also is the cisco 7200 simulator free to download..

Thx,

Gaurav

2611 with 64MB RAM + 16 MB Flash

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content