Views
Helpful
Replies

Can SSM Milticast be testing using Ping

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Folks,

Configured SSM Multicast routing on MPLS backbone routers and want to test out multicast VPN. I trying to ping multicast source from one PE to the other and do not get a response, i see the multicast tunnel up though for that vrf? do i need an actual multicast source to trigger SSM? or would a ping work just like in normal sparse mode?

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Parwal,

A ping should work just fine for testing SSM. Just make sure that the source address you use for the ping is indeed the one that you require.

Hope that helps.

I would appreciate you rating the post if it helps.

Paresh

Paresh,

Could you please elaborate on your comments.

"Just make sure that the source address you use for the ping is indeed the one that you require"

what do you mean by source address?

Ok,

When using SSM, you need to specify a multicast source address as well as the multicast group address. For example, you could have an (S,G) as (10.1.1.1, 224.1.1.1) where 10.1.1.1 is the source address and the 224.1.1.1 is the multicast group address.

If you are trying to ping from a router (which by definition has multiple addresses), then you need to make sure that the source address used for the ping is 10.1.1.1 (as per this example). So you clould so something like the following:

ping 224.1.1.1 source 10.1.1.1

Pls do remember to rate posts that help.

Paresh

Paresh,

I am still confussed, lets say I have the following topology:

CE1-----PE1--------PE2------CE2

I have rip enabled between the CEs and the PEs. CE's can ping each other and both have a loopback that is also reachable by the other.

SSM is configured in the MPLS backbone.

I use the command "ip pim igmp join-group 224.1.1.1" on the loopback of CE1.

Technically if multicast VPN is configured correctly I should be able to see a (S,G) on CE2, right?

(S,G) (loopback address on CE1, 224.1.1.1)

My question is that when i try to ping 224.1.1.1 from router CE2 , i do not get a response. I could source my ping from the interface facing PE2 but it would not make a difference as that interface is reachable from CE1 and would be the default source interface for the ping. Any thoughts ;-)

Parwal,

Based on the info provided so far, it's hard to say why this is not working.

You might want to post some of your configs...

Paresh