Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cat6500 + SUP-2T & MPLS Features

Hello all,

I have done quite a bit of research on the Catalyst 6500 and the SUP-2T. Historically the 7600/6500 series has had support issues and stringent requirements on certain hardware modules in order to support L2VPN/L3VPN (ES+ Card, SIP cards etc). Essentially this kept the Cat6500 as more of an enterprise switch.

With the release of the SUP-2T though, the box has been brought up to scale. We now have support for 1 million+ routes and supposedly support across the board for MPLS features regardless of line card type. With this being said, what we would like to do is move towards the 6500+SUP-2T as an aggregation-access box for our fiber customers. We have a need to support full VPLS featureset on 100meg fiber customer facing interfaces. We have accomplished this in the past by using ME3600s but would like to get to something a bit more scalable. Thoughts are to use a redundant SUP-2T Cat6500 with WS-X6148-FE-SFP cards. My concerns are the following:

1. Will all MPLS features really be available on this card? Looking to attach these ports as part of L2VPN VPLS and to perform port-based and VLAN-based xconnects (EVC/EFP configurations).

2. For those that have experience with both Cat6500 and ME3600/3800, are these two comparable from a configuration standpoint? We would be migrating from daisy chained ME3800s to this chassis if we went with it. I want to make sure that the configuration migration would be very straightforward and future provisioning would be similar to that of ME series switches.

• MPLS
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.