Views
Helpful
Replies

Circuit Emulation Service over MPLS

anandbhalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Wanted to know if Cisco supports CES over MPLS.

Thanks,

Anand

4 Replies 4

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Could you please define what you mean by CES over MPLS? Is EoMPLS what you are looking for?

Thanks,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi,

No...not EoMPLS, what I am looking for is support for ATM AAL1 on MPLS.

We have ATM network on which we are providing circuit emulation service, Frame Relay and Voice.

We have been sucessful in migrating Frame Relay (which falls under ATM AAL5) services from ATM platform to our MPLS platform on the basis of PWE3.

My query is weather Cisco supports ATM AAL1?

From memory i am sure that you can do CES (AAL1) over a pseudowire config. However, may years ago i pondered doing it as well then thought "am i mad?" I wouldnt do it if i were you tbh this time critical data imo isnt suited for an mpls network. Remember this is just my opinion and i am sure some others will disagree with it.

Hello,

the best thing to do in my opinion would be DiffServ aware MPLS TE to provide bandwidth guarantees and LLQ for the CES data. Otherwise it is like playing the lottery, whether you can hold your service levels or not. MPLS TE, however, is quite some task to perform to "get a few ATM PVCs up and running".

Cisco offers even single ATM cell transportation (configure "encapsulation aal0" for the PVC). The overhead you get with this approach is huge.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin