Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring QoS

erodrig
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i want to configure qos in cisco routers the scenario is like that (see diagram)

i have two equipment peribit, one central site and another at branch site, according to the supplier of these

equipment, it generates a tunnel with the 3577 and 3578 tcp and udp ports, the peribit compress and labels the packets

and send it for the tunnel

the router can recognizes the packets labeled by the peribit equipment? what i have to do to configure qos in the cisco

router if the peribit equipment is labeled and sending the packets through the tunnel and not the router?

thanks

3 Replies 3

carenas123
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, you can just apply the service-policy to the fastethernet interface, and setup your class-maps however you want to. You can do the LLQ and PQ, whatever you choose, on that policy map, and then on the Tunnel interface, just type qos e-classify, which will make it do the QoS before it is encrypted

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

You can either classify traffic by your TCP/UDP parameters or you can use "trust qos dscp" feature on the port to which yout Peribit device is connected, and set the DSCP value at the Peribit. Then you would have one less task - you won't have to classify traffic at the router and create two classes - for peribit and for everything else.

Find design guide that suits your requirement, like this one: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a0080114326.shtml

and follow it.

Be carefull with PQ, as policing it uses cuts traffic when it exceeds the set limit. I think LLQ will suit you best.

Is MPLS network your own or provider's? You might want to consult your qos with them, since some providers prioritize inside the MPLS. MPLS should be aware of your QOSing one way or another (at least on PEs...)

swaroop.potdar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Eduardo,

If you are the customer using Peribit then you will have to set the right DSCP bit on each Tunnel packet as was the DSCP in the received packet before you tunnel it.

If you are on the side of the MPLS Provider.

Then you need to see what SLA the customer has purchased. If they have 3 to 4 class of services purchased. Then You need to ask the customer to Map the incoming DSCP or IP Prec as in the first para.

Or else all incoming traffic would be read with the one DSCP or IP prec as marked by Peribit compressor.

If peribit cannot do mapping of packets DSCP or PREC values before tunnelling packets then you need to talk to them regarding the SLA parameters.

Since you would not have much parameters to classify the incoming traffic on if the peribit doesnt do approapriate mapping.

Do reply back with more info so we can understand the situation.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop