Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

joe Bronze
Bronze

Convert HDLC T-1 to sub-if to configure multi-vrf CE

We are converting a small ISP to MPLS and have a quick question-

We have several sites connected using a basic HDLC T-1 from what is going to be the CE to the PE (all isr's running 12.4)

Over this one link we will have MPLS (with the PE's side being in a vrf), and we would like to continue bringing in internet from the PE's global routing table that we are doing now.

I know you can simply use frame relay with sub-interfaces to do this... only we cant provision frame-relay service to these CE's...

Any ideas how we could segment these HDLC's into 2 sub-interfaces (one with private addressing for the MPLS wan) and one with public ip addressing for the internet circuit.

I've been thinking about gre 2 tunnels between the PE/CE just to make this work, with one TUNNEL being in the PE's VRF for the customer, the other remaining in the global routing table.

Oh, and I know you can just route the internet into the VRF on the PE, but that is not desirable here.

Thanks,

Joe

1 REPLY

Re: Convert HDLC T-1 to sub-if to configure multi-vrf CE

I would say you need to use VRF-lite in order to do this efficiently.

All other solutions will require tunnelling which is not efficient.

One possibility is to have a single site that has the routes to the Internet i.e. a central DC site. This would mean that a default route would take all internet bound traffic to the DC whereby it will be routed to an 'Internet' circuit. This is a common method and usually involves a MPLS L2Transport circuit into the DC site which terminates between an Internet router and a CE/Fw. This will require a L2 protocol that can deliver discreet L2 paths i.e. FR or Ethernet VLANs. The advantage is reduced tunnelling but introduces suboptimal/hairpin routing.

An alternative is L2TPv3 from each CE to an Internet CE

Views
Helpful
Replies