Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Design Recommendation for VoIP over MPLS.

Hi,

I have been researching a couple of WAN technologies recently for one our clients who has 2 remote sites located in the Arabian Gulf and a head office in London. Some stats I have may prove to be of some use; the London office has 20 people, and the 2 satellite offices currently have 5 people each. They would be running data, video and voice on the same WAN network. We have the choice of linking the three sites up with either an MPLS backbone or via a 2 MB leased line on both satellite sites and a 4 MB leased line at the London office. Using CoS we will reserve 0.5 MBs of bandwidth at all sites for voice and video and the rest will be allowed for data traffic.

My question here at this point pertains to the design aspect of things. Would you feel in your professional opinion that it would be worthwhile to go for an expensive solution like laying out an MPLS network from London to the Gulf or do you feel that given the expensive infrastructure provisioning costs that an MPLS network of this magnitude far outweighs any advantages it may have over a leased line solution. Also, what's the truth behind an MPLS network being better suited to support VoIP data (in terms of QoS) than leased line technology. Can you please back your response with some technical points if need without going in to too much depth?

Best Regards,

Waqas Raza. (CCNA, CCNP-Routing)

Clarion Communications Ltd,

London.

1 REPLY

Re: Design Recommendation for VoIP over MPLS.

hi

Serial link at any point of time is better. the question is will be one proivder for these satellite locations.

MPLS at best emulates the serial link. No doubt you can run video/voice as smoothly. Once again the choice is doing things your hand or outsourcing it to provider at lower cost.

regard

Ashish

Views
Helpful
Replies