cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does MPLS VPN Support Multicast NLRI

darin.pesnell
Level 1
Level 1

I have been looking into mVPN and have a question that I couldn't find addressed on CCO.

Does Cisco's implementation of MPLS (mVPN) allow the CE Router to send Multicast NLRI (through mBGP) to the PE router so to influence ONLY the multicast RPF check? I have tried to configure this in the lab and it doesn't appear as though it is an option (ie: the address-family ipv4 vrf XXX multicast option doesn't exist). Any insight to this question would be great appreciated.

Thank you,

Darin Pesnell

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I realize that MPLS VPNs support Multicast, but what I have not seen an answer on is whether you can send Multicast-NLRI inside of an MPLS VPN.

In other words, can an mVPN be configured such that a dual-homed CE uses Multicast NLRI to only influence the RPF check but leave unicast routing as is? We can do this today with mBGP and Multicast NLRI but I can't seem to get this to work with MPLS VPN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: