Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
You may experience some slow load times, errors, and slight inconsistencies. We ask for your patience as we finalize the launch. Thank you.

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

EIBGP Load Balance in MPLS

In an MPLS VPN environment, if I use "EIBGP

multipath load balance" to distribute traffic load between two paths (1 ebgp and 1 ibgp) paths on router PE1 and PE2

CE1-ebgp----PE1

N ! \

N ! \

N ibgp --P---

N ! /

N ! /

CE2-ebgp----PE2

My FIB shows two labeled paths installed one for ebgp and one for ibgp. and my LFIB shows only the ebgp route.

So in case PE1 receives a IP packet destined for CE1 network, it distributes the load between ebgp link and ibgp link. sending ip packet to CE1 and labeled packet to PE2. Since PE2 recevies a labeled packed it checks its LFIB finds a only a ebgp route and routes the packet to CE2.

The question here is

is this the property of LFIB, not to install ibgp routes even though they are present in the FIB, or is this an exceptional case. Can someone direct me to a link where in depth explaination is given about this topic

Manvinder Sandhu

• MPLS
1 REPLY
Silver

Re: EIBGP Load Balance in MPLS

Views
Helpful
Replies