Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP peering through MPLS L2 VPN

Sonugnair_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

One of our clients has about 25 remote loactions connected to a central site using Frame relay and ISDN backup. The central site router is a 3845 and all branch routers are 1841s. As of now EIGRP is the routing protocol.The service provider here is switching over to MPLS (Layer 2 or Layer 3). So this clinet has to migrate from FR to MPLS. Basically as a part of this, migration the provider will place a Huawei switch the Customer central site. They will also place a Huawei switch at each remote loaction. The customer insists that he needs to use EIGRP and does not want to migrate to OSPF or static routing (Huawei ofcourse will not support EIGRP. Basically the connetction will be like this:-

6509 --- 3845 --- Huawei --- cloud --- Huawei---1841--- branch LAN

//other branch lans

The 3845 connection to huawei is via a fast ethernet port. My concern is:=

a) All the 1841s have to peer with central 3845 router by EIGRP and exchange routes. This will be through the Huawei layer 2 VPN.For this i think i will have to create sub interfaces on the 3845 fastethernet. eg

sub interface 1 remote loaction 1

100.100.10.1 ---- 100.100.10.2

sub interface 2 ---- remote location 2

100.100.11.2 100.100.11.2

etc...

So when i give "show ip eigrp nei" on central 3845 i have to see ip's 100.100.10.2,100.100.11.2 etc as neighbors. On remote loaction 1 1841 when i give "show ip eigrp nei" i have to see only 100.100.10.1 as neighbor but all eigrp routes should be there.

Will the 3841 and the branch 1841 peer like this through sub interfaces and provider L2 vpn (assuming correct configs on huawei? Could anyone who seen/worked on scenarios like this give some thought.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sonu

1 Reply 1

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What is currently the routing solution over FR? If the use EIGRP now there should be no difference to EoMPLS point-to-point links. If the SP offers VPLS, i.e. the SP network looks like a VLAN to all routers, then the routing changes.

If MPLS L3VPN is provided and the Huawei will be PE routers not supporting EIGRP, then the customer cannot use EIGRP, because CE routers will be adjacent to PE routers.

So one question to clarify: what exactly is the SP offering?

1) Ethernet p2p circuits?

2) VPLS/a VLAN

3) MPLS L3VPN

Depending on the solution the answer for the routing part is different.

Regards,

Martin