Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Enable Multicast in vrf..

We have received a request to support multicast in a client vrf - I came across the following Multicast config guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00805a32b4.html)

Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of before considering enabling multicast?

2 REPLIES

Re: Enable Multicast in vrf..

Hi,

besides choosing the proper protocol, RP and generally multicast setup in the core, I would also consider resources. What amount of additional resources used by multicast are you expecting (router/switch memory, CPU utilization, bandwidth)? Which impact does this have on number of customers per PE/P?

What about network management of multicast?

What about your staff knowledge, trouble shooting capabilities?

What about pricing/billing, SLAs and their monitoring - in brief: how to make a product out of some config ;-)

My 2 cents.Regards, Martin

Community Member

Re: Enable Multicast in vrf..

Thanks Martin.

We run 7200's/NPE400's - As we have never had a requirement to support multicast, the impact on resources is largely an unknown...that's really the reason for my question...I'm hoping that someone who has had experience with multicast can provide some insight :)

Staff knowledge is(As you can probably tell) basically zero - Therefore I am(at this stage) extremely reluctant to implement..

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content