Views
Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS OSPF and HSRP problems

cagri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi chaps,

Here is a funny one (or I am really missing something).

An MPLS cloud, two 6500 series router in it. An EoMPLS Layer2 circuit is configured simply by using

xconnect <ip> <vc> enc mpls

commands on both end interfaces.

Both interfaces setup identically.

Two more routers connected to this interface one on each side to check the connectivity. All IP and running, perfect Layer 2/3 connectivity.

When I try to run OSPF, hello packets "in one direction only" are blocked (so OSPF neighbor does not come up). (Ofcourse sorted when I add neighbor command).

The HSRP, HSRP keepalives only being transferred in one direction (same as OSPF hellos) ugh stange.

I suspect the link is somehow blocking multicast in one direction, quickly setup PIM on both end routers, nope this is not the case, multicasts to 224.2.2.2 being transferred in both directions perfectly.

I appreciate any idea that you may give.

Cagri

4 Replies 4

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

Hi mate, Not sure if you have had any joy with this as yet but I shall try to answer as clear as i can.

It is the multicast issue that you say. I have seen this on various routers over the past few years. As you say changing OSPF to use unicast works. Pim also works fine. What you are seeing here is a bug. If you turn on no ip mroute-cache or is it no ip route-cache (sorry cant remember its been a while) then that will make everything burst into life. Its a really annoyting bug that keeps coming back time and time again. Hey with the 7300 platform i actually saw the opposite of that i.e. no unicast but multicast was fine (slight fundamental flaw in the programming there i believe lol).

HTH

No joy :( I tried both commands. Any other ideas ?

harindhafdo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you tell me in which mode this EoMPLS tunnel is configured is it VLAN mode or Port mode? would it be possible to have the configs on two PE's and connected CE's?

sometimes it helps configuring ip ospf network point-to-point under the Fast Ethernet port on CEs, though the Physical interfaces are multiaccess, connection is logical point to point.

Rgds,

Harin