Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS : QinQ, Vlan-based

Hi I'm on a EoMPLS project. I succed to connect Customer site accross EoMPLS tunnel.

This is my architecture :

LAN1 -- CE1 --- PE1 (7200)---- MPLS backbone --- PE2 (7200) -- CE2 -- LAN2

Now I know how to transport vlan between CE but my problem is to understand the difference.

In my mind, "Vlan-based" use one VLAN operator (So 1 pseudowire) to transmit all frame tagged or not to CE2. And, "QinQ" allow to do the difference between different Customer VLANs and forward accross MPLS backbone frame on different VLAN operator.

2 questions :

1. Have I correctly understand ??

2. If I'm right, Why we need QinQ ?? What QinQ bring it more than VLAN-BASED ??

3. My goal is to create on Site 1 any vlans and with VTP transport them to Site 2. What kind of these two technology based on VLAN use ??

Thanks for answer !

6 Replies 6

Yasir Ashfaque
Level 1
Level 1

I have personally never tested the Vlan tagging under EOMPLS, but as per concept, you will need QinQ tunneling to put customers' tag traffic in EOMPLS, because if you will do portbased EOMPLS, it wont accept  the tagged traffic, and if you will do vlan-based EOMPLS then PE will need two vlans, one for his local identification and second for customer's tag.

for more detail you can read this post.

hxxps://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/247387?tstart=0

Ok thanks for answer.

I understand the principle but PE in my case is a 7200 emulated router. I work with dynagen/dynamips server and only 7200 can be emulated no 7600 !!

I have looked these following links :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_9_ea1/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1010370

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ios_xe/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_qnq_tunneling_atom_xe.html#wp1001506

In the first link we can see the dot1q tunnel mode with some layer 2 protocol transport CDP, STP, and VTP.

Ideally this is my first goal --> transport VTP on site 2 by EoMPLS  but it was only on switch multilayer (like 7600) or with specially cards, I don't know. But what I know it's with my 7200 I  don't have command switchport to activate switchport mode dot1q-tunnel and l2protocol-tunnel vtp for example.

Is it true ??

Secondly, in the second link I read I should to be able to transport vlan frame of site 1 to site 2 but simply carry and not propagate different vlan that I created !!!

Again, Have I correctly understand ??

Thanks for help

i believe you will need ES20 card to do it... i had same issue with one of our client, and i provided them a total out-of-box solution.. and it was DLSW

ES 20 is to do what ??  to propagate VLAN or to do the second proposition just carrying tagged frame ??

And I don't understand the second part of your sentence with DLSW...

Ok thanks for your help.

So tomorrow I going to try transport simple of vlan, I think it in a good way !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: