Helpful
Replies

EoMPLS vs. VPLS (Part 1)

vitute2006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sirs:

Please answer each question separately:

1) What are the main differences between EoMPLS and VPLS?

2) What Cisco devices support EoMPLS? Only edge devices? Why?

3) What Cisco devices support VPLS? Only core devices? Why?

4) Using only EoMPLS, how can I build a star topology in the WAN for many sites? Is it possible? Please explain.

3 Replies 3

attrgautam
Level 5
Level 5

My answers maybe incomplete lets see

1) EoMPLS would be a point-to-point connection say from one PE to another. For full mesh connectivity, the CPE would need to have multiple virtual circuits identifying each connection (VLANs/Interfaces)

VPLS in very crude terms would make the MPLS Cloud equivalent to a Switch forming pseudowires to all the PE routers which have to be part of the LAN.

2)EoMPLS is supported from the 7200 Series to the GSR (12000) Series.

3) Only 7600 Series with OSM/SIP 600 Support VPLS now.

4) Yes you can build a star topology using EoMPLS with VLANs. You can extend VLAN per site from the hub and extend individual VLAN to each spoke.

Hi:

2) I´ve been reading that Cat3750M also supports EoMPLS. What advantages have to use it from the customer site versus implement EoMPLS from the PE (C7200/GSR) in the cloud?

4) So I need always a routing device in the main site. Please detailed a little bit.

2) 3750 does H-VPLS wherein it can connect local sites in the metro cloud using tunneling like Q-in-Q etc.

4) As you are extending different VLANs per site, you will need a routing device at main site to route between them.