Replies

Frame Relay Access to MPLS L3 VPN

carlosv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having some troubles with this network:

Router1---128KbFR---PE1-MPLS-PE2---2MbHDLC--Router2

We have provisioned CBWFQ QoS and everything works fine except voice when we saturate the 128Kbps links (about 20 to the same PE1). We are not using AToM nor L2 VPN's. In some testing, it seems that the MPLS network has no idea how to handle the BECN's that come from the FR switches. So, the 2 Mb link doesn't stop sending packets to the 128 Kbps links,

Voice packets have priority 5 (which is mantained over the MPLS Network), and we are using FR traffic shaping and fragmentation (160 bytes).

I think I have two options:

1. Limit the 2Mb link with CAR for each 128 link. But at the same time allowing agregate traffic for the 20 remote sites.

2. Use AToM L2 VPN's.

Anyone has other idea? or a hint about how to configure something to make this work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Carlos

1 Reply 1

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

What you need to do is rate-limit at the spokes. It might be considered a bit of a waste to pass the traffic over your network but it is really the only way to make sure that you do not kill those little 128k lines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: