Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS support for MPLS QoS as stated in RFC 3270 L-LSP

fcotichelli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

does anybody know something about the degree of implementation of RFC 3270 (Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Support of Differentiated Services), particularly on the classification based on Labels (L-LSP)?

From what is detailed on the CCO it seems that only Exp-bits based LSP are supported (configuring all links along the path for the proper data plane behaviour based on the Exp-bits values): E-LSP

Thanx in advance

Francesco

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

I guess, in PPP and LAN environments, E-LSP is the preferred method and in the ATM only L-LSP is possible. Maybe cisco chose to implement only the E-LSP for the LAN and PPP environments, i am not sure though.

Anyone knows this for sure?

Check out http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/732/Tech/mpls/docs/mpls_qos_jayk.ppt for more details on MPLS-QoS

mazhar71
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On ATM LSR using "MPLS COS Multi-VC" feature operates like L-LSP. In this case you can configure upto 4 VC which carries the traffic having different EXP values. When this feature is configured , required number of label(VC) is requested from the ATM switch to be assigned to different EXP traffics. Actually there are different LSPs , different label for different traffic , very like L-LSP says. But I am not sure.

Regards

Hi,

thanx for all your replies. All sounds good, but the interesting point would be how to have a scalable solution with L-LSP (more than 4) on both packet and cell mode technologies. Then, obv.ly, how to manage/configure it in Cisco IOS.

Still looking forward.

Thanx again

Regards

Hi,

As far as I know only E-LSP is used on frame mode mpls implementation. Only one label is used for a destination prefix from global label space. Every traffic uses this label regardless of its TOS value.

But multi-vc feature is usable because it supplies you 4 different VC for a destination on ATM cell mode and it is dynamic. I think this is usefull until you get your exact answer.

Best Regards